More Waldorf Principles--Steiner's Themes

I have mentioned that the Waldorf curriculum “speaks” to a child at his level. Let me tell you what that means. Language arts, math, and social studies are all taught through stories. But there are specific stories for each age group:

A first grader is rapidly changing and growing physically. He is losing his baby teeth. He is becoming more coordinated. All of his energy has been going to his physical body rather than to his intellect. He is still more in his imagination than in the “real world.” So he is told fairy tales—simple, archetypal stories where there are powerful Kings, where wickedness is punished, and where there may even be a little magic.

A second grader is learning to make decisions for himself as he approaches the age of accountability. Thus, his curriculum includes stories of “saints” and other revered people so he can see what GOOD is. And he also learns fables—to show him how to make choices between right and wrong, and that every choice has consequences.

A third grader is facing what Steiner called the “nine-year change,” and it can be traumatic. So he studies the Old Testament (even if it is not part of his religion) because its history parallels his inner journey. The expulsion from Eden, the slavery in Egypt, the wandering in the wilderness…over and over the Hebrew people fail, yet they are loved by a generous God who always gives them another chance and guides them to the Promised Land.

A fourth grader is discovering who he is and what the world has to offer. He hears stories about what it means to be human, to be different than the other animals. And he learns of Norse mythology, which is all about nines (his age). These ancient stories don’t always end happily: they are full of mischief and ambivalence, just like the real world.

I appreciate the way that each curriculum doesn’t just teach facts, but actually nourishes the child. Although I don’t follow Steiner’s themes up through grade 12, I like to use them at least in these early years.

3 comments:

  1. I appreciate hearing your thoughts about Waldorf. I have been fascinated by Waldorf education ever since I first heard about it years ago. I guess I'm a little nervous about the spiritual philosophies that underly it, yet I can't seem to leave Waldorf alone. I would love to hear more of your thoughts about how Waldorf does or does not fit with LDS beliefs. I like the idea of homeschooling so that I could choose only what I agreed with, but reading Waldorf materials it is sometimes hard to sort through all the ideas, especially when they are couched in unfamiliar terminology. I do respect the fact that Waldorf is about more than just playsilks and nature, and that removing the core beliefs undermines the whole approach. Your above post was really helpful! Some lightbulbs went off in my head! There is so much about Waldorf that appeals to me.

    I'd also love to hear about how you approach a young child who seems ready for academics earlier than Steiner would recommend. I'm not in that situation yet, my older son, who is in public school currently, only started reading in first grade, and I was happy to not push him. But I suspect my daughter, who is barely three, will be different, and I wonder how to handle that.

    I enjoy reading your blog. I know your daughter J from another message board. I've been too shy to comment until now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    Thanks for your comment. There are some of Steiner's spiritual philosophies that don't fit LDS doctrine, but many of them are very close. I do feel like he was a man with great insights, and that's why I have been trying to understand the PRINCIPLES behind his ideas. (You're right though, it can be hard to wade through! I think it helps to find other interested people to discuss with--either in person or online.) I feel that when I understand principles it's easier to pick and choose the applications I like--and get the "right" results!
    I totally agree with Steiner about not schooling younger children. However, I don't think it's a problem to give them answers or skills they ask for (like writing their name). I'm actually working on a post about that, but I have so many blog ideas running around in my head right now that it might be awhile before I get it published :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your reply! You've inspired me to go back to those Waldorf websites and read, read, read. I loved the way you explained the themes for each grade, and that really resonated with me. My son is a second-grader this year, being baptized in a year, and even though he is currently in public school, I think we will focus on some of those stories and ideas at home.

    ReplyDelete