Our 2009 Christmas Spiral


Somehow our Christmas spirals never turn out the way I plan them, and this year was no exception. It was, however, a happy success.

The weather cooperated for once, so I was able to make a BIG spiral that looked beautiful! (Our house is small, so we have to make our spiral outside under the carport. This year's didn't have to be totally under cover, though, because we didn't have rain or wind.)

Several of D's friends helped me carry and arrange the branches. They got so excited just looking at what we were making that I impulsively invited them to come. Seven to nine year olds seem to enjoy this tradition more than anyone. One of the boys did end up joining us.

My older kids were not extremely enthusiastic about another spiral (this is our third), so I told them they didn't need to walk but I would appreciate their singing. B--my 25 year old--not only wanted to walk the spiral, but he made himself a torch! (I'm sure you can see where the unexpected comes in here!)

The evening turned out to be very fun. I talked a little at the start about how we were in the season when the light was coming back and how we would soon celebrate the birth of Jesus--the Light of the World. I think only the little boys were listening though, because everyone was anxious to get started.


In spite of their misgivings, everyone walked the spiral except for Ju who was taking pictures. My grandson even did it twice. (These little ones can really feel the wonder of the season and the candlelight!)

While they were walking, we sang some reverent Christmas songs--"Still, Still, Still"; "Stars Were Gleaming"; "Shepherd's Carol." When B skipped around with his torch, we sang "Torches Here, Jeanette Isabella"! (That is actually one of my favorite songs.)

We finished by singing "The Lord is my Light" and going in for spiced hot cider.

2 comments:

  1. What a great tradition! Sounds like something my kids would love, and a great way to talk about the season. Fun! Fun!

    ReplyDelete